he Gharda Foundation is administered by a board of 6
who oversee its budgets, fund-raising and project priorities. Day to day administration and direct
supervision of projects is handled by a Managing Trustee who is based at our Ratnagiri Office at Chiplun(Lavel), India.
The foundation employs a staff of approximately 50 people and also has a number of site based volunteers.
he Gharda Hospital in Lote, Maharashtra is a 20 bed primary care facility and
has a staff of 20 physicians, nurses and assistants.
ach of our village sites has a full time trained social worker assigned to it who
has a primary responsibility for overseeing activities and implementing projects in the villages. We also employ
various consultants to work with us on issues of irrigation, public health and income generation activities.
n keeping with our philosophy of participative development we are a very
"flat" organization and involve all personnel in decision making. We also encourage a team approach and our
colleagues are often simultaneously involved in various projects. One such example is our recently launched
Project- Education which aims to improve the quality of education in government run village schools. The project
participants include staff from our own cadre of social workers, educators as well as our medical staff.
ur employees and volunteers are our greatest asset and we strive to
keep them informed of developments in the arena of rural development.
- Founder and Managing Director of Gharda Chemicals Ltd.
- Founder and Chairman of Gharda Foundation.
- A pioneer in the field of agro chemicals,pigmants & polymers.
Extensive research work for the manufactutre of various compounds.
- Dr. Gharda has obtained Master's degree & Ph. D in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan.
- Worked as a lecturer in the University of Oklahoma.
- For his contribution to chemistry and chemical engineering, Dr. Gharda is a recipient of the American
Institute of Chemist's 'Chemical Pioneer' award.
- Awards: One of the four “Contributors to Indian Chemical Industry in this Millennium”
More. . .
- He is chairman of Gharda Chemicals Ltd. and also Gharda Medical Foundation & Bai Ratanbai Gharda Hospital Trust.
- As a concerned citizen and industrialist he has a long-standing record of interest in social causes
particularly rural development. Under his initiative Gharda Foundation was established as an independent NGO.
Dr. Mrs. Aban Gharda :
- Ph.D in Sociology.
- Director of the Gharda Chemicals Ltd. & other companies.
- Trustee of Gharda Foundation, Gharda Medical Foundation, Bai Ratanbai Gharda Hospital Trust & many other.
Mrs. Almitra Patel :
- B.Sc Chemistry-Botany from Bombay University, 1956.
B S General Engineering 1958 and M S Ceramics 1959 from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA.
Course for the Small Businessman, Administrative Staff College of India, 1966.
- Business Experience: 1960-91 : 31 years’ experience in Abrasives, Foundry-Refractories and Cement Tile industries. Indigenous production
of imported items. Wrote an induction furnace refractories User Manual, which has been translated into 5 languages
for distribution in 80 countries by a Swedish collaborating firm, Svenska Silika.
1961 to date: Trustee and Executive Committee Member for Sarasvati Education Sociiety’s
4 educational institutions at Devlali (3500 village students).
- Environmental Experience: 1998-2001 Member of two Expert Committees appointed by the Mumbai High Court for
solid waste disposal issues in Thane and Pune.
2004- Proposed Consultant to Govt of Uttaranchal for SWM Task Force
- Memberships and Talks: Life Member Bombay Natural History Society, World Wildlife Fund, Youth Hostel Assn,
INTACH, Indian Institute of Foundrymen, Indian Ceramic Society, SOCLEEN (Society for Clean Environment),
IPHE (Inst. of Public Health Engineers), IEA (Indian Environment Assn and member of their Think Tank).
Regular lecturer on SWM issues at numerous Indian Conferences, Seminars, Workshops and educational training programs.
- Awards: 1994: Economic Times’ Achiever of the Year for Environment in Karnataka.
1997:Golden Jubilee Award for Environment from Bangalore City Corp’n.
2004 : Kempegowda Award-winner for Environment, (given by the Chief Minister of Karnataka State.)
Mr. Dhananjay T. Desai
- C.A. , M.B.A (Finance)
- Director of the Gharda Chemicals Ltd., Gujrat Insectisides Ltd. & other companies.
- Trustee of Gharda Foundation & many other.
- Anthropology also is an area of immense intreste.
Dr. J.B. Joshi
- 32 Years of Industrial Experience ; Active Consultant to Large, Medium and Small Scale Chemical Process Industry.
Designed Novel Reactors, Processes and Plants which are in successful commercial operation; Expertise:
- Ex. Director of UICT.
- Awarded by Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists, 1981, given by the Indian National Science Academy.
- Maharashtra State National Award for Outstanding Research in Engineering and Technology given by the
Indian Society for Technical Education, 1991.
- Achiever of the year Award-1997 given by the Chemtech Foundation.
Dr. M.G. Gokhale : Managing Trustee
- M.S. (Orthopedics)(Pune) , A.F.I.H (Mumbai)
- He is an orthopedic surgeon & occupational health physician who lives and works in the Ratnagiri district of Konkan.
- He is a director of medical , health & community relations in Gharda Chemicals Ltd.
- He is also associated with various charitable trusts including the National Association of the
Blind, Konkan Cultural Academy, Parshuram Education Society, Navkonkan Education Society,
Shikshan Prasarak Mandali etc. and is actively involved in social work.
- He is a Managing trustee of Gharda Foundation & many others.